Kenton goes to "school"

Home school with the girls has been hard with a rambunctious 2 year old in the mix, so I had my friend call a daycare that we walk by everyday on our way to the fruit stand to find out how much it would cost to have Kenton attend.

When I found out it would only be 200 pesos a week to have him go Monday - Friday from 7am - 3pm, I thought... "Sign us up and when can he start!" We visited the facility and it looked clean and safe, and all the staff or "maestras" were very friendly. We needed to provide some basic documents in order to have him attend - things like copies of passports, medical records, pictures of us, and proof of our address here in Mazatlan. It took a few days to get those things in place, but this morning I packed his bag and we headed over.

Here is the list of what he needed to bring with him:

A roll of toilet paper
A package of baby wipes
4 diapers
2 changes of clothes
Toothbrush
Hair gel and Comb

Yes, hair gel was actually on the list of required items! They really like hair gel here and I've felt a little convicted about not spending much time fixing the kids' hair everyday.

He cried a lot when I dropped him off, but I think he would have done that anywhere right now. None of the staff speaks English so he will be surrounded every day by about 20 kids and many adults who will fully immerse him in the language.


This is how he looked when he had his picture taken the other day, and he pretty much had the same look when I left him this morning. I'm hoping and praying he has a good day. It seems totally worth it for $10 a week (the equivalent of what I was paying our babysitter per hour back home) to have him surrounded by other kids. The staff will even help him potty train while he's there, something else that has been a challenge here at home.

Would you join me in praying that he is safe, well cared for, and that he absorbs as much Spanish as possible during his time there? I'll try to update this post later with an after picture, and an update on how his first day went.



Update: Although he didn't necessarily look super happy when I picked him up, his hair sure was styled cute and he told me he had fun... so I think it was a success. We'll be back tomorrow :)






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How we got here…

March 20th, 2018